This Department is responsible for all accurate and up to date record keeping. The public may file a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request for records of interest. In addition this office can issue the following: Marriage License, Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, Dog license, Yard Sale Permits, etc.
View Middletown's City Charter and Codes
Click here for instructions → pdf Records By Mail (108 KB)
Genealogical Services Form Click here → pdf Genealogical Services Form (130 KB)
Handicap Parking Permits
As of Wednesday, September 7, 2011 the City Clerk's Office, Room 12 on the first floor of City Hall, 16 James Street will be issuing Handicap Parking Permits with the proper paperwork between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30PM. The Police Department will also issue permits at 2 James Street between the hours of 8:00AM and 4:00PM.
Marriage Licenses are only issued between the hours of 9:00am to 3:00pm, Monday through Friday.
New York State law requires a 24 hour waiting period after the license is issued by the City Clerk office before the marriage ceremony can take place.
A New York State Marriage License is valid for 60 days (except for active military personnel, for whom the validity runs for 180 days). A Marriage License issued in New York can be used anywhere within New York State but may not be used outside New York State.
Requirements for a Marriage License - Click here → Requirements for a Marriage License
Freedom of Information Law
The City Clerk is the Records Management Officer in the City of Middletown.
If you would like to FOIL a record of the City of Middletown you will need to fill out the FOIL application and submit to the City Clerk's Office at 16 James Street or you may FAX the application to 845-344-5428. The New York State Freedom of Information Law allows a municipality up to five (5) days to respond to a request for records. The charge will be $.25 cents per page. You have the right to appeal a denial of the request by sending your denied request within 30 days to the office of the Mayor, 16 James Street, Middletown N.Y. 10940.
Reporting Hours of Appointed and Elective Official:
The City Clerk’s Office issues the following Permits and Licenses:
- Auctioneers Permit
- Bingo Permits
- Block Party Permits
- Collateral Loan Broker Licenses
- Dog Licenses
- Electrical Licenses and One Time Electrical Licenses
- Medical Medallions are available in Police Headquarters Sam Khalil 845-346-8772
- Plumbing Licenses
- Sidewalk Café Permits
- Sidewalk Sale Permits
- Solicitor’s Permits
- Taxi Licenses Applications are available in Police Headquarters Sam Khalil 845-346-8772
- Towing License
- Yard/Garage Sale Permits
Applications with requirements are located in the Document Center
Any resident who has a Yard Sale or Garage Sale in the City of Middletown must have a permit, issued by the City Clerk's Office, according to the City Code Chapter 384 Article II Garage/Yard Sales.
• There are No Rain Dates for Yard Sales
• Yard Sales are only 8:00 a.m. through 8:00 p.m. only
• The Permit for a Yard Sale is $10.00
• Yard Sales or Garage sale permits are limited to only two (2) per year, for no more than 3 consecutive days.
• A $50.00 refundable deposit is required for all Yard Sales and will be refunded after the Code Enforcement Department authorizes the compliance of Chapter 319-17 Litter Law:
E-ZPass On-the-Go is now available in the City Clerk's Office at Middletown City Hall Room 12 for only $25.00.
E-ZPass On-the-Go is an E-Z and convenient way to save time and money. E-ZPass On-the-Go allows the busy traveler to open an E-ZPass account without filling out an application or waiting in line.
1. Purchase the tag for $25.00 in the City of Middletown City Clerk's Office at 16 James Street.
2. Register Tag Online at www.e.zpassny.com or call 1-800-697-1554 and $25.00 will be credited to your account.
3. Attach to windshield and start saving!
Important: You must register Tag before using
Click here for more information → pdf E-ZPass On-the-Go Information (387 KB)